Saturday, October 25, 2008

It's hard to get away from Texas

I thought I'd finally done it. In talking to the shop people and service staff at the hotel here in Ubud, most of them had never heard of Texas or Dallas. I was thinking I'd finally come far enough.

Tonight I watched the Legong dance at the Ubud Water Palace, a very pretty place indeed. From there I went with an acquaintance I met at the restaurant beforehand - a Netherlander who'd DSC_0114 traveled much of the world in the last year - to the Jazz Cafe, to my knowledge about the only live music venue in Ubud. After some confusion about the location we finally made it there.

Shortly after we paid the 25,000 rupiah (about $2.80) cover charge the band began playing. First it was Lynrd Skynrd's "Sweet Home Alabama". Then some Beatles covers. Finally they started into a classic blues progression, and I thought, "So they're finally getting close to jazz". And it turned out to be "Texas Flood". A pretty mediocre version of it, too, but I'm spoiled with the Stevie Ray Vaughn version. And then a John Lee Hooker / ZZ Top medley of "La Grange"! As soon as I got back to my bungalow I just had to play the original.

No comments: