Monday, April 21, 2008

Forget the Energizer Bunny. This is still kicking butt 135 years later.

I'm listening to Brahms Symphony No. 1 while I work. Terrific, moving piece, in a much more dignified way than the "heart on your sleeve I'm crazy" of Tchaikovsky.

Brahms was 40 years old when he wrote his first symphony (of only 4). It took him over fourteen years to complete. He was terrified of being compared to that guy who came before him, uh, what was his name? Oh yeah...Beethoven. And yet in my opinion every one is a masterpiece, not a note wrong. They're extremely well-thought out compositions of formal symphonic structure. And yet, the  melodies just stick in your head for the day after you've heard the concert.

His symphonies aren't Grand like a Mahler symphony (whom many would call overly emotional and drawn out) or wildly romantic like Rachmaninoff (whom many would call too romantic). Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of both Mahler and Rachmaninoff; I probably listen to them more than I do Brahms. But my wife is preparing for a performance of Brahms 1, though, so it's floating through the house. What got me to writing this is the main theme of the fourth movement; I don't know what it is - it's just the strings, no brass or percussion, no fireworks, no explosions or kung fu - but it gives me chills every time. The beginning of the movement is introduction and it sets you up for the main theme; you'll know it when you hear it.

I think you should listen to this free performance of the last movement by the Columbia University Orchestra while you work today. The entire symphony is here.

No comments: