Monday, May 02, 2005

Success for Hitchhiker's?

I heard on the radio that the Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy movies, despite mixed reviews, was the top-grossing movie in the country over the weekend. Apparently Disney now plans to make a sequel.

At first I was elated. Adams’ series is long overdue for a wider audience, and if this movie can steer people back to the original it’s a force for good. However, I’m not so sure I’m keen on any kind of sequel. I still haven’t seen the movie*, but Douglas only wrote so much. If the script goes beyond what he wrote, it’s isn’t really Hitchhiker’s any more. Adams was such a unique talent, I don’t see how sequel-generating scriptwriters can create anything but a parody of the original.

Of course this won’t stop them from trying.

* We went to a concert and dinner yesterday with a friend of Connor’s who had already seen the movie. It took dire warnings, imprecations, and threats of duct-taping his mouth to keep him from giving anything away. We’ve been waiting for a movie for ten years before this kid was born; we’re not about to put up with him spoiling it!

No comments: