Friday, August 15, 2008

Local girl makes good

As you may have heard, Nastia Liukin won the women’s individual gymnastics final last night. You may have also heard she trains in Plano. We actually held a birthday party for our son years ago at her (and Carly Patterson, Athen’s gold medalist) gym, World Olympic Gymnastics. (As you can imagine, with two gold medalists it’s a growing business.)

I remember walking into the place and immediately noticing the smell. Not unpleasant (to me), it brought me right back to college because it smelled just like my karate dojo in Lansing: People working out hard, on carpet. Not that I’ve been into too many other gymnastics schools, but that’s the only place I’ve ever encountered it.

It also had a pit built into the floor filled with foam blocks. It was like quicksand! Amazingly hard to get out of; I'm sure it's easier for those lightweight gymnasts :).

No comments: