Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Pb:J Ratio and Its Correlation To Age

As I was hurriedly making myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, it occurred to me that there is a hitherto unexplored "golden ration" in our lives. In my statistical sampling of, well, one, I realized there's a direct correlation between one's age and how much peanut butter vs. jelly that goes into a PB&J.

When you're younger, it's all about the sweetness. The peanut butter mainly exists to glue the two pieces of bread together. So about a 1:3, even 1:4 ration? As you get older, you enjoy the flavor and texture of the peanut butter. Is this analogous to Stilton cheese and single malt scotch being adult's preferences? Plus, more PB makes for a sandwich that sticks with you longer (no pun intended).

Eventually you're up to the 3:1 or even 4:1 in favor of the peanut butter. Of course, it tapers off after that; you won't find many PB&Js with just a dash of jelly.

On whole wheat, mind you; I am an adult. But that doesn't extend to the PB - I'm still a Jif Chunky guy. I figure I can indulge myself in the little bit of added salt.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: