Friday, February 01, 2008

Time To Change

"Nothing endures but change." Heraclitus

After ten years, today's my last day with Intel. It's only the second company I've ever worked for as a grown-up. I wouldn't have left, but management edicts forced my hand, and it looks like it's going to be a very positive move. I've accepted a position as an enterprise solutions strategist with Advaiya, who provides high-level strategic consulting to Microsoft. I get to work with Microsoft on some strategies, develop white papers and presentations on its new technology, and deliver this content in a variety of situations both in the States and internationally.

If you haven't done much of this sort of thing, leaving a big company is pulling out by degrees. When you're ready, you take a deep breath and make the plunge to tell your manager. That gets the ball rolling, and you're now really committed (even if you've kidded yourself that you could back out of your offer acceptance from the new company). Then you start telling individuals, and send out the big "goodbye letter". Then responding to all the well wishes. Then working on the handoff of all your duties. I'm proud of the fact I made all my meetings (and even contributed to them :) ) right to the end.

I was spared the daily "So you're really leaving, eh?" conversations around the water cooler because I'm 1400 miles from my nearest co-workers. As cliche' as it sounds, it really is true that your employer isn't nearly as wrapped up in you the employee, as you the employee have your head wrapped around the job: the Intel termination process is a matter of processing a little paperwork and bang, you're done.

Two weeks' notice doesn't seem like much after ten years and the depth of the big program - the Numonyx NOR Flash divestiture - I was working on. But with a well-thought out transition and some advance notice to my successor Derek Weigel, it was pretty well done with a few day's to spare. And you don't want to be a lame duck in the office for too long.

It's a good time to make little resolutions, change things. I've been hitting yoga class more regularly - in fact just before my LDO (last day office) meeting. I don't enjoy it as much as other forms of exercise, but conversely I notice the results of practicing regularly more than almost any other form. We're having house work done after seven years in the place - tile, fence, carpet - so that will be good. And I'm throwing out or shredding a lot of old papers :). I have a new bike that needs some riding (see below).

As I settle into a new job and routine, I'll certainly be posting here on whatever I find to be interesting - technical, personal, or otherwise.

1 comment:

Totallyisham.com said...

Sean,

Best wishes to you. I will miss our get togethers on the patio, drinking beer, and being surrounded by the directory services dream team.

Sincerely,
Alan "Spend the weekend modifying the schema" I.