Thursday, December 06, 2007

I Love Joe Morgenstern

I was just perusing an old Wall Street Journal Weekend Journal while cleaning off part of my home office desk this morning. Much as I hate the clutter, I try to never throw them out until I've at least glanced at them. (Of course I have a mount about a foot high by the base of the elliptical. This either says something about my ellipticizing or the Journal; I don't care to figure out which.)

Joe Morgenstern, the Journal's movie critic, has an article about how much he hates seeing standard-def TV in 4:3 being stretched into 16:9 widescreen format on flat panel screens. Right on! Besides the obvious effect of distorting the picture, the few pixels on the larger screen make it look so much worse. And people don't seem to care, or notice the difference.

My family notices the difference (I think), but they definitely think I obsess about getting movies only in widescreen format. They think I've really gone around the bend when I complain about movies displayed in letterbox format on a 4:3 screen - thus having black bars on the SIDES of the picture (an undistorted 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen) and on the top and bottom (the letterbox format the movie's being displayed in).

A good read, it's public at http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119041125710335666.html.

No comments: