Thursday, November 29, 2007

A little post trip discovery is always interesting

I was nosing around, looking for some other GC photos and references to GC features so I can get them right in my captions - which of those rock spires is Vishnu Temple, and which is Zoroaster

Temple? - when I came across the photos pages of Susanne Riehemann. She's taken some gorgeous photos of the Canyon (among many other places), from below the rim, at http://doors.stanford.edu/grand-canyon/index.html.

If you've ever been to Maricopa, or Powell, or Hopi point, you know they're very distinctive and stick out quite a bit. Susanne's photo from the Tonto Plateau shows you just how much they really do jut out from the rim. I took a photo of my wife on our honeymoon from the very tip of Powell Point (I don't think I could wrench myself out there any more), and always wondered what the drop was like.

Now I know! Fall 350 feet past the Kaibab, bounce off the Toroweap, fall another 350 feet past the Coconino, tumble down the Hermit / Supai, take the long fall 450 feet past the Redwall, tumble down the Muav Limestone until coming to "rest" on the Bright Angel Shale of the Tonto Plateau. Ouch!

No comments: